10.11.09

Fall Shawl

Fall is officially here in Brooklyn and to celebrate I am breaking my needles back out.

My first finished project this season is the yellow ochre hue chunky wool shawl below. The color makes me think of the golden leaves lining the streets and the warmth of the afternoon sun.


It is a very simple project and I was able to complete it in a couple sittings over the weekend. I wanted to show off the loftiness of the wool and juxtapose it with a lace technique. So instead of going out and buying gauge 100 needles (if anyone knows what size needles I would have actually had to use please let me know - this number is an assumption!) I used my hands and forearms. I have never heard of anyone doing this before but I would love to hear about it if you have. The result was this very airy and whimsical shawl. I think it will also transition to cooler weather as an over-sized scarf.


This is the same wool that I thanked Beth for last Spring; thanks again Beth! I never would have conceived of such a thing as knitting with my arms if it was not for your gift. Which makes me think - if anyone else out there has any wool sitting around that they will not be using you can ship it to me and we will all see what comes of it.

Stay tuned for some little brown arm warmers in the next week or so. Here's the beginning:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! I love it and applaud the creativity, dear friend:)

Megan said...

Thanks Beth! BTW: Do you know anything about this yarn you sent me? I know its wool but I was wondering if you knew the company that made it or any other info?

Di (not Dee) said...

Fabulous! My friend, Sara, just gave me a little hat that she crocheted for Toad, but when she first started working on the project, she didn't have the appropriate needles, so she did the first few rows using only her hands & fingers. The result is this curly border that ended up working GREAT as a hat rim. I'll send you a picture soon.