19.4.10

Shortsleeve Baby Cardigan



I know it's been a long time since I've posted. Hopefully you will cut me some slack. It's not because I haven't been knitting. I just haven't made time to post. What a bad blogger I have been! This cute little baby cardigan makes up for it though.

I had this odd ball sitting around the house that I had started making a hat from over a year ago. I frogged that bad boy when I came across it and look at what it turned into - only the cutest little sweater ever.

This is a very simple pattern that I made up as I went. Knit in a royal blue wool acrylic blend (read machine washable since it's for a tyke) on #7 needles this little jacket knits up quickly. It was knit straight across with the roll hem, I treated the little arm holes like finger holes for gloves, and used a raglan shirt sleeve decrease to shape the shoulders. After finishing the collar I went back and knit the little sleeves in the round. You know what all this means? NO SEAMS! Nothing to bug the lucky baby to wear it. I added snap tape in a medium gray to add some interest instead of the traditional zipper or buttons.

I think it's brilliant and if you do too here's the pattern for Size 1:


What you'll need:
-Large skein of worsted weight hypoallergenic/kid friendly yarn (your color choice just check the weight of the yarn)
-#7 straight needles
-#7 double pointed needles
-yarn needle
- 13" snap tape in a coordinating color
- needle and thread or sewing machine

With #7 Straight needles cast on 83 sts.
R1: knit across
R2: purl across
R3: knit across
R4: purl across
R5: knit across
R6: k3, p77, k3
Repeat rows 5 & 6 for 6.5 inches (about 40 rows).
R41(increase row): k22, k1 into back, k1, k1 into back, k39, k1 into back, k1, k1 into back,k22
R42: k3, p81, k3
R43(increase row): k23, k1 into back, k1, k1 into back, k41, k1 into back, k1, k1 into back,k23
R44: k3, p85, k3
R45(increase row): k24, k1 into back, k1, k1 into back, k43, k1 into back, k1, k1 into back,k24
R46: k3, p89, k3
R47(bind off row): k22, loosely bind off 12 sts, k39, loosely bind off 12 sts, k22
R48(yo row): k3, p19, yarn around needle 18 sts, p39, yarn around needle 18 sts, p19, k3
R49(decrease row): k18, ssk1, k18, k2tog, k37, ssk1, k18, k2tog, k18
R50: k3, purl across, k3
R51: purl across
R52: k3, purl across, k3
Repeat rows 49 through 52 five times.

Working neck and binding off:
R1: knit across
R2: k3, purl across, k3
R3: knit across
R4: purl across
R5: knit across
R6: purl across
R7: bind off all sts

Working arms:
Pick up and evenly distribute 30sts on your double pt needles.
Knit in the round for 10 rows. Bind off.

Finishing:
Go through sweater with yarn needle and weave in all loose ends.
Arrange snap tape on sweater and sew into place with your sewing machine or needle and thread.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Theo B. said...

Can you adjust the pattern to fit someone my size?

Megan said...

Of course I can! I was thinking I may need one in my size as well...

Di (not Dee) said...

I love it! It's super super cute. I wonder who will be the "lucky baby to wear it."